Designed to replicate natural teeth as closely as possible, dental implants offer a long lasting, great looking solution to missing teeth.
They are also a permanent alternative to dentures, which can cause a number of irritating issues if not well fitting.
Implants act just like tooth roots because they are carefully positioned in the jawbone to provide a strong foundation for replacement teeth. They are usually made from titanium as it is such a durable metal and so well tolerated by the body that it eventually fuses with the bone.
As long as they are looked after properly, dental implants can provide tailor-made teeth that are built to last.
The treatment process
- We carry out a thorough assessment of how your teeth fit together, your oral health and the density of your jaw bone. (If we discover that the bone and/or soft tissue are not adequate, you may need additional grafting procedures so your implants can be successfully anchored into place).
- The titanium implants are placed into the bone using minor surgery.
- They then ‘take root’ by bonding with the bone over the next few months.
- Once fully settled, new teeth are added to the firm fixtures.
We are delighted to offer the services of Dr Diarmuid O’Croinin, our highly qualified Dental Implant specialist who has extensive experience in all kinds of implant cases from a single tooth right through to the replacement of a full set of teeth.
A gap left by missing teeth can be filled in with a dental bridge made up of a false tooth and two crowns that fit over the teeth either side of the gap.
Normally made of porcelain fused to a metal or ceramic base, they provide a perfect solution to gaps in your smile – helping to improve eating and speaking, restoring facial shape and keeping any existing teeth firmly in place.
The treatment process
- The teeth either side of the gap are reduced slightly in size to make room for the crowns.
- Impressions are taken so the bridge can be custom made.
- While the new bridge is being created, a temporary bridge is put in place to protect the exposed teeth.
The bridge is checked and adjusted to make sure it fits perfectly before being fixed in place with dental cement.
Modern dentures are far more natural looking and comfortable than they once were and can be an effective way to restore the look and functionality of your mouth.
Made from acrylic, nylon resin or chrome cobalt, our dentures can offer a big boost to your confidence as eating, talking and smiling become so much easier.
The making and fitting process
- Following an initial consultation, we will formulate a treatment plan and take impressions of your mouth to create a model that can be checked for fit, bite and comfort.
- A final set of dentures will be expertly produced in a laboratory and you will then have a fitting appointment.
- You will need to pop back and see us for a check-up after your dentures have been in place for a little while so we can make sure you are completely happy with your new teeth.
Something missing? Give us a call on 020 8949 5252 and we’ll help fill in the gaps.